Introduction to Professional and Special Occasion Make-Up with Practical Training
Kick-start your career as a make-up artist from home with this two-course bundle!
- Attend two practical training days.
- Develop the knowledge how to apply flawless professional and special occasion make-up.
- Boost your skills in concealing, bridal application, eye glitter application, contouring and much more.
- Apply for and obtain professional insurance to offer services to clients.
As well as providing an excellent knowledge base in professional and special occasion make-up, this course is ideal for students who want to gain a government recognised certificate in professional and special occasion make-up and who want to go onto further vocational training and placement opportunities, those aspiring to become a make-up artist or those who want to boost their knowledge and progress in their current career.
Up to two years.
You will receive two Certificates of Achievement, one from The Quality License Scheme and one from TQUK.
You will need to have completed the Introduction to Professional Make-up theory course before progressing onto Special Occasion Make-up.
Introduction to Professional Make-Up With Practical Training
- Facial treatments
- Skin structure
- Skin analysis
- Lip and eye make-up cleanse
- Superficial/deep cleanse
- Toning products and procedures
- Client record card and treatment plan
- Contraindications to treatment
- Mask therapy
- Facial massage
- Eyelash and brow treatments
- Skin test or patch test
- Eyelash tinting
- Eyebrow tinting and shaping
- False eyelash application
- Eyelash perming
- Strip lashes
- Semi-permanent mascara
- Make-up consultation
- Record card and treatment plan
- Product formulations
- Labelling of ingredients
- Common ingredients of skincare and make-up products
- Mineral make-up
- Product use and information
- Client preparation
- Make-up brushes and tools
- Hygienic application of make-up
- General points of good practice
- Make-up application procedure
- Bridal make-up
- Consumer legislation
- Face and body art make-up
- Make-up colours
- Artificial tanning
- Airbrushing techniques
- Nail treatments and enamelling
- Nail art
- Make-up effects and tools
- Media make-up (theatre/fashion/photographic)
- Cosmetic camouflage
- Blood and blood supply
- The lymphatic system
- The skeleton
- Muscle tissue
- The skin (dermis, epidermis)
- Hair (follicles, structure, colour)
- Nerve endings
- Functions of the skin
- Disorders of the skin
- Sterilisation and hygiene
- Salon management
- Health and safety legislation
- Equal opportunities
- Communication and greeting clients
- Appearance and attitude
- Telephone manner
- Complaint handling
- Treatment of minors
- Data protection
- Teamwork and time management
- Codes of conduct, ethics and practise
- Preparing the skin
- Recognising skin types
- Recognising skin tones
- Recognising face shapes
- Delivering flawless make-up application
- Enhancing and concealing techniques
- Preparing and consulting with the client
Special Occasion Make-Up QLS Level 3
- Skin structure
- Preparation of the skin prior to makeup application
- Products used
- Consultation techniques
- Client record keeping
- Skin analysis
- Face shapes and face charting
- Treatment planning and trial
- Health, safety and hygiene
- Selecting and applying various foundations
- Colour correction and concealing
- Traditional Bridal
- Natural Eye makeup
- Smokey effect (natural and dark)
- Applications of highlighting and shading
- Application of flare and strip lashes
- Vintage retro styles using Hollywood and Period inspiration
- Defining features
- Applying different brow shapes in accordance to era
- Luscious lips and precision liner on both eyes and lips
- Looks from the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and 60’s
- Asian Bridal application and techniques
- Traditional bridal looks
- Eye makeup with glitter application
- Cream shadows and shimmers
- Different Liquid eyeliner techniques
- Advanced cream contouring
- All airbrush tools and techniques
- How it differs from traditional make-up
- How it is incorporated in bridal designs
- How to combine it with classical make-up for a flawless finish
- How to build you career as a freelance make-up artist
- Insurance and legislation
- How to market the business
- How to build your portfolio
- How to set up costings following client consultations
This course will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which will be sent and marked by your tutor. Your coursework must be completed before you can proceed on to your two days practical training.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier. Both practical days will last 6.5 hours.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. You will receive your course materials through the post, so receiving your materials is easy and hassle-free. You will also need to attend two day’s practical training which will be held at a venue in Coventry.
Please note the two practical days will be split rather than taking place over two consecutive days to minimise impact on working and family life. This also enables students to choose when and where the practical’s take place.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Special Occasion Make-up from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
Learners will also receive a Certificate of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK) in Make-Up Artistry Level 3.
You will also be able to obtain professional insurance through any beauty therapy insurer. This means you will legally be able to offer your makeup services to clients.
The Make-Up Artistry Level 3 course is accredited by TQUK. TQUK are fully approved as an awarding organisation by Ofqual and award QCF courses in a number of sectors. QCF courses have various credits values which can be applied to the National Credit Transfer System. TQUK accredit courses which are developed by industry experts and work hand in hand with organisations ensuring the calibre and worth of courses provided.
The Special Occasion Make-Up course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website.
This course has been benchmarked at level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You will receive two Certificates from Ellison’s Academy once your practical days have been completed.
You will need to have completed the Introduction to Professional Make-up theory of this course before progressing onto Special Occasion Make-up.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
Once you have passed your written assignments, you may book your practical day. Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll arrange this for you. You will also need to bring with you to both practical days your professional make-up brushes, which we will send to you once you are booked onto your Introduction to Professional Make-up practical day. Your practical days will be held at a venue in Coventry.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Two day’s of practical training
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- FREE Professional make up brushes (this will be sent to you once you have booked your first practical day)
- Comprehensive study guide*
- Open Study College pen and highlighter*
- Student study planner*
- Student notebook*
- Document wallet*
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue your certification based on your coursework and practical sessions.
No, everything you need is included in this course and practical day. The venue does have a supply warehouse next to it, so you are able to purchase equipment and products on the day if you wish to do so.
When you receive your work, you will be required to work through the course and complete assignments at the end of each unit. Your course pack will contain a study guide with instructions on how to submit your work, which will be marked by your tutor.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.